GRUNTLED: pleased, satisfied, contented


There are some words in the American English language that are labeled as “back-formations.”   It means that their origin is found by seeing it as a variation of a word that existed before it did.  Obviously, gruntled is one of those words.  It derives from the word disgruntled,which means, dis-satisfied, unhappy with the situation. I […]

LIAISE [lee-EYZ]: to form an alliance, to join forces with


I chose this word, liaise, as a good example of a word that comes into our language through a method known as back formation.  Back formation is a term which means that the word has been derived from an already existing word, and has been adapted to a new use. In this case, liaise derives […]